WIHN provides Cape Fear’s homeless families with emergency and transitional services that assist them in regaining their independence. This organization is supported by 13 area host churches, including First Presbyterian Church.
The families stay at the church’s Cameron Center for one week out of thirteen during the evening and night. During the day they are transported to and from a day center at 4938 Oleander Dr.
Volunteers are needed to help set up, take down, provide meals, transport participants, and serve as hosts.
Call the church office (762-6688) to express your interest in helping with Interfaith. Please visit our Member Page and sign in to view current openings.
Interfaith Volunteer Job Descriptions
Get involved today in our church’s ministry for homeless families & children that takes place on our church grounds 4-5 times a year.
Weekend: Set up/ greeter:
- Time commitment: 2 hours
- Time/ days needed: 4- 6pm on Sunday the day of check in
- Duties to perform: Set up cots, greet guest and distribute linens
Weekend: Museum Trip:
- Time commitment: 2 hours
- Time/days needed: 10 am to noon Saturday
- Duties to perform: Walk with guest families from church to the Wilmington Children’s Museum, enjoy the museum visit with our guests and walk with them back to the church.
Transportation (Van Driver):
- Time commitment: 20-25 minutes
- Time/ days needed: Monday- Friday (may sign up for just one day) 4:50-5:15
- Duties: Drive Interfaith families in the Interfaith van to First Presbyterian Church, Cameron Center.
- Details: Arrive at the church by 4:45. Retrieve the key which is located on the bulletin board on the third floor of Cameron Center where the guests are staying. The door can be accessed by the outside steps and there is a combination on the door. If you need assistance with the code, please call the church office or email Ben Rigby. The van will be parked in the Cameron Center lot. Log in the information requested on the clipboard prior to leaving the lot. The Interfaith Office is located at 4839 Oleander Drive, 910.769.4730, and their office is just after the entrance to the Municipal Golf Course on the right. The families will come out. It is suggested that you turn the van around and are heading out into Oleander prior to the family getting in the van. Return to FPC, fill out the log and return the key to the bulletin board in the hall. Thank you for helping!
Meal Preparer :
- Time commitment: 1- 2 hours
- Time/ days needed: meal due by 5:45pm each evening Sunday-Saturday
- Duties to perform: Prepare evening meal for 10-15 guests and deliver to the Cameron Center
- Time commitment: 2 hours and 15 minutes
- Time/ days needed: 5:45-8pm Sunday-Saturday (may chose one night to serve)
- Duties to perform:Set out the meal delivered by Meal Preparer, dine with guests, help with dinner clean-up and depart when Overnight Host arrives.
- Time commitment: 10 hours, 45 minutes…. most of them sleeping
- Time/ days needed: 8pm-6:45 am next day Sunday- Saturday nights (may sign up for one night)
- Duties to perform: Stay overnight in the Hospitality Wing with our guests and drive them in the Interfaith van to the Wilmington Interfaith Center at 4938 Oleander Dr. in the morning.
Weekend: Break Down/ Goodbye/ clean up crew:
- Time commitment: 1 ½ – 2hours
- Times/ days needed: 3-5 pm the last Sunday of the hosting week
- Duties to perform: Assist guests with clean up of Hospitality Wing. Secure the property when they have gone.
- Time commitment: 1-2 hours
- Time/ days needed: any time Wednesday or Thursday of Interfaith week hosting
- Duties to perform Check and replenish staples in the kitchen
- Time commitment: 2 (may by done at home if needed)
- Time/ days needed: Once before guests check-in and once after check-out
- Duties to perform: Prior to Sunday Check-in: Set out linens (twin sheet sets, pillowcases, towels, and washcloths) for each guest. Sunday of Check-out (or any time after): wash, dry and fold all linens used during the week and return to the linen closets